November 2013 Jobs Numbers and Unemployment Rate were released this morning, Friday, December 6, 2013.
- 203,000 payroll jobs added. (September & October numbers were revised upwards.) Job growth has averaged 191,000/month over the past 12 months.
- Private jobs increased by 196,000.
- Government jobs increased by 7,000.
- Unemployment rate ticked down to 7.0% (from 7.3%). This decrease was impacted by the end of the government shutdown in mid-October as over 400,000 federal workers who said that they were unemployed on "temporary layoff" returned to work. The unemployment rate decreased across the board, for every ethnic, age, and occupation group.
- The alternate unemployment rate (which includes part time workers who want full time jobs, discouraged workers, and marginally attached workers) declined to 13.2 from 13.8 last month. This is the lowest that it has been since November 2008, five years ago. One year ago, the alternate unemployment rate was 14.4.
- The labor force increased by 455,000 in November, reversing much of last month's decline. Most of last month's decline has been attributed to the government shutdown.
- NOTE: To repeat, October's government shutdown did not appreciably affect the payroll numbers because no government employees were taken off of payroll during the shutdown. However, the Household Survey is based on workers' answers to questions. Workers affected by the shutdown should have been classified as unemployed/on temporary layoff during the shutdown, but it appears that some did not answer the questions correctly. Therefore, the Household Survey was affected by the shutdown. Both the increase in the unemployment rate and the drop in the civilian labor force in OCTOBER may have been related to the government shutdown. These changes were REVERSED in November.
- Since the "trough" of the recession in late 2009/early 2010 in seasonally adjusted numbers:
Since Bush left office & Obama took office (January 2009) in seasonally adjusted numbers:
- 7.4 million MORE jobs in total
- 8.1 million MORE private sector jobs
- 6.4 million MORE people working*
- 3.1 million MORE jobs in total
- 3.9 million MORE private sector jobs
- 2.2 million MORE people working*
- Private Sector Job Loss/Growth Since 2008 w/ Graph - UPDATED for NOVEMBER.
- What Was the Unemployment Rate When Obama Took Office (compared to today)? - UPDATED for NOVEMBER.
- How Many Jobs Created or Lost Under Obama? - UPDATED for November
- Jobs Lost/Gained Year by Year Since 1999 - UPDATED for November.
- Private/Government Jobs Gained/Lost Month by Month 2011 to 2013 - UPDATED for NOVEMBER.
- How Many Jobs Have Been Created in 2013 to date? - UPDATED for NOVEMBER.
- How Many Government Jobs Lost or Added Under Obama? - UPDATED for NOVEMBER.
- Private/Govt Jobs Gained/Lost Under Obama - UPDATED for NOVEMBER
- How Many Jobs Lost or Gained in November 2013? - UPDATED for NOVEMBER
- How Many Jobs Lost or Gained Over the Past Year? (November 2012 through November 2013) - UPDATED for NOVEMBER
- How Many People Left or Joined the Work Force (Civilian Labor Force) Since Obama Took Office? - UPDATED for NOVEMBER