December 2013 Jobs Numbers and Unemployment Rate were released this morning, Friday, January 10, 2014.
- 74,000 payroll jobs added. (November numbers were revised upwards.) Job growth has averaged 182,000/month over the past 12 months.
- Private jobs increased by 87,000.
- Government jobs decreased by 13,000.
- Unemployment rate ticked down to 6.7% (from 7.0%). The unemployment rate decreased across the board, for every ethnic, age, and occupation group, including teenagers. (The unemployment rate comes from a different source than the number of jobs which is why the unemployment rate can decline three tenths of a percent with only a minimal increase in the number of jobs. Over time, these two numbers closely parallel each other.)
- The alternate unemployment rate (which includes part time workers who want full time jobs, discouraged workers, and marginally attached workers) stayed the same at 13.1%. This is the lowest that it has been since November 2008, five years ago. One year ago, the alternate unemployment rate was 14.4%.
- The labor force decreased by 347,000 in December.
- Since the "trough" of the recession in late 2009/early 2010 in seasonally adjusted numbers:
Since Bush left office & Obama took office (January 2009) in seasonally adjusted numbers:
- 7.6 million MORE jobs in total
- 8.2 million MORE private sector jobs
- 6.6 million MORE people working*
- 3.2 million MORE jobs in total
- 4.0 million MORE private sector jobs
- 2.4 million MORE people working*
- Private Sector Job Loss/Growth Since 2008 w/ Graph - UPDATED for DECEMBER.
- What Was the Unemployment Rate When Obama Took Office (compared to today)? - UPDATED for DECEMBER
- How Many Jobs Created or Lost Under Obama? - UPDATED for DECEMBER
- Jobs Lost/Gained Year by Year Since 1999 - UPDATED for DECEMBER
- Private/Government Jobs Gained/Lost Month by Month 2011 to 2013 - UPDATED for DECEMBER
- How Many Jobs Have Been Created in 2013 to date? - UPDATED for DECEMBER.
- How Many Government Jobs Lost or Added Under Obama? - UPDATED for DECEMBER.
- Private/Govt Jobs Gained/Lost Under Obama - UPDATED for DECEMBER
- How Many Jobs Lost or Gained in December 2013? - Not yet updated.
- How Many Jobs Lost or Gained Over the Past Year? (December 2012 through December 2013) - Not yet updated
- How Many People Left or Joined the Work Force (Civilian Labor Force) Since Obama Took Office? - UPDATED for DECEMBER